Job Summary: Circle the City is a rapidly growing non-profit dedicated to providing high quality, holistic healthcare to people experiencing homelessness in Maricopa County. Circle the City is designated by the US Department of Health and Human Services as a Federally Qualified Health Center. The clinic, located in Central Phoenix, provides comprehensive primary care alongside fully integrated behavioral health and case management services to more than 4,000 individuals experiencing homelessness each year.
The BHC has responsibility for coordinating all psychosocial community services under the general direction of the Psychiatrist. The purpose of this position is to provide screenings and short-term, brief therapeutic interventions to health center patients. Additionally, this position will be responsible for coordinating mental health and substance abuse services with external agencies when necessary, including detox, community service agencies, recovery-oriented support groups, etc. The BHC will assist leadership in identifying gaps and opportunities related to expanding mental health and substance abuse services.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Coordinates with physicians and other personnel in client evaluation and treatment to foster
• Completes assessment of patients to determine presence and extent of mental health issues
and substance abuse, documents assessment, and makes treatment recommendations based on
assessment with input from others treating patient.
• Develops and documents individualized treatment plans that address the needs of client
• Provides counseling and support to individuals and families. This may include individual,
family or group counselling and/or coordinating referrals to treatment for individuals
requesting this opportunity. This may also include groups related to anger management,
living with mental illness or other general mental health topics.
• Screens primary care patients for mental health and substance abuse needs during routine PCP
appointments as needed.
• Maintains strict confidentiality guidelines regarding all clients, conversations and
referrals in line with local, state and federal statutes and organizational policies.
• Attend relevant and required meetings (both internal and external, stakeholder meetings,
forums, alliance meetings etc.), trainings, and community events.
• Participates in regularly scheduled supervision and receives clinical guidance as needed.
• Participates in continuing education to continually improve skills and abilities and stay
abreast of current technologies/practices.
• Maintains current knowledge and skills of all computer programs being used in the agency.
• Exhibits a high degree of courtesy, tact, and poise when interacting with clients, families,
and other personnel.
• Adjusts to fluctuating peaks in client flow, acuity, and other operational demands while
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Knowledge of generally accepted individual, group and crisis counselling methods.
• Has an understanding of crisis management and the ability to deal with life threatening
situations including the prevention of suicide.
• Skill of case management and confidential record keeping practices.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, including presenting and speaking in public
• Knowledge of organizational policies, procedures, systems, objectives, electronic health
records systems and computer systems applications (MS Office, PowerPoint, Chrome etc.).
• Skill in exercising initiative, judgment, problem-solving and data driven decision-making.
• Sensitivity to low income and ethnic minority community.
• Master’s degree in Social Work or Doctorate in Psychology required.
• Must possess Arizona BBHE licensure (LCSW) or Arizona Board of Psychologist Examiners
licensure – other disciplines will not be considered for this position.
• Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred.
• Two years of experience working in the health care field.
• Current Arizona Department of Safety Clearance Card, or ability to secure one prior to
• Requires a current Arizona Driver’s License.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All resumes will be reviewed for education and experience.
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicant’s or employee’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status.